From 7:00 PM on July 26 to 5:00 AM on August 11, there will be significant service impacts to all modes of transportation along Commonwealth Avenue and the BU Bridge in the BU/Saint Paul Street/Cambridgeport neighborhoods and on I-90. These impacts are necessary for MassDOT’s contractor to work continuous shifts 24 hours a day using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC).
The Commonwealth Avenue Bridge Replacement project will cause significant traffic impacts, namely from July 26-August 11, we will demolish and rebuild half of the bridge.
To do this rapid construction we will:
- Reduce capacity on I-90 by 50% (reducing it from 4 lanes in each direction to 2) heading into Boston (9 days)
- Close Commonwealth Avenue and the BU Bridge to vehicular traffic (15.5 days)
- Divert Green Line B Branch to bus service (15.5 days)
- Weekend service on the Commuter Rail will end in Framingham for two weekends
- MBTA Bus service (CT-2 and the 47) will be detoured from the BU Bridge to cross at the Mass Ave Bridge
Traffic Management Details:
Commonwealth Avenue Bridge Replacement – Traffic Management
General Project Details:
Commonwealth Avenue Bridge Replacement