01 – What are the usual steps in the process of building a rail trail?
- A railroad bed is no longer in active use and the potential for a rail trail is identified
- A feasibility study done by the state
- A series of local actions to approve the exploration of the possibility of a rail trail
- A preliminary engineering study to identify critical aspects of the trail and estimate costs
- Obtaining rights to the rail bed through purchase or lease
- Determining the form, function, and funding of the tra
- Designing and permitting the trail.
- Bidding and construction.