Incident on 9-27-11

Published September 28, 2011 | Police Department | Automatically Archived on 10/31/2011

This Post has been archived and its content might be outdated. If you are looking for recent content, please check this Department's Homepage.

On 9-27-2011 at approximately 7:47 PM the parents of a 22 year old Sudbury resident arrived at the Sudbury Police Station concerned for their safety as well as that of their son.  A subsequent investigation revealed the subject had threatened to harm himself or any officer in his presence stating he was not going back to jail and would kill any police officer attempting to do so.

Sudbury officers, assisted by the Lincoln Police Department, attempted to make contact via phone unsuccessfully.  Officers then made a minimal entry into the residence in an attempt to locate and initiate dialogue with the young man unsuccessfully.   Due to tactical dangers officers returned to the exterior where continued attempts were made to establish communication.  As the investigation progressed intelligence was received there may be firearms in the residence as well as the knife the subject had armed himself with.

Considering this new information the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council S.W.A.T. unit was contacted for assistance.  Sudbury and Lincoln Officers maintained a perimeter until relieved by S.W.A.T. members.  While awaiting the arrival of additional resources residents in the immediate area of the target residence were evacuated as a precautionary measure.

Once Metro established a sufficient tactical scenario attempts to contact the subject went on for a period of time with no communication.  Eventually, negotiators were able to establish contact with the subject who refused to leave the residence.  Dialogue went back and forth imploring the subject to comply with their instructions.  With continued non-compliance, S.W.A.T personnel elected to have the Massachusetts State Police deploy a robot to gain further intelligence prior to making entry.

Eventually, the subject obliged the requests to vacate the residence where he was secured by S.W.A.T. members.  He was conveyed to Sudbury Police Officers who had a cursory assessment conducted by the Sudbury Fire Department and was later transported to an area hospital for evaluation.



Sudbury Police Department