JOIN THE CELEBRATION!
SUDBURY’S 375TH ANNIVERSARY
September 4, 2014 is the 375th Anniversary date of Sudbury's incorporation. The celebration has already begun, with more exciting events and activities to follow.
The Sudbury Historical Society kicked off the anniversary year with its presentation, “Puritans Make a Village” on January 12th at the Sudbury Town Hall. This was a fitting start to the celebration since the Pulitzer Prize award-winning book Puritan Village, The Formation of a New England Town written by Sumner Chilton Powell tells the story of early government and social organization of the town of Sudbury, Massachusetts beginning in 1638.
Many more activities have been planned for the remainder of 2014. Watch for more information on the following:
- Photo Contest – Picturing Sudbury: A Celebration of our Town. The contest is currently running now through July 31st. Visit The Sudbury Historical Society at Sudbury01776.org for details and how to submit your pictures. Don't miss the special photo exhibition to be held at T-wisted Yogurt in September.
- February 25: "Invisible Soldiers: Unheard Voices" – a compelling documentary, which tells the story of African American Servicemen in World War II. The Friends of the Goodnow Library kicks off its Local Luminaries series with a screening of this award-winning film. The Local Luminaries series runs through May.
- March 2: Railroads through Sudbury, an illustrated presentation at the Town Hall sponsored by The Sudbury Historical Society.
- March 22: English Country Dance at First Parish Meetinghouse, sponsored by First Parish of Sudbury, Unitarian Universalist.
- April 6: Edmund Brown Concert at First Parish Meetinghouse, sponsored by The Sudbury Historical Society.
- May 3: Town-Wide Garlic Mustard Pull – Join SWEET, Inc. at the Hosmer House from 10:00 a/.m. – 1:00 p.m. Enter the dash to pull 375 Garlic Mustards contest. Be the first Sudbury resident or student back with a bag filled with the invasive plants and win a prize! For more information contact SWEET at SWEETinvasives@gmail.com or their public Facebook page www.facebook.com/sweet.incsudburyma.
- May 18: Sudbury Town Center Tours sponsored by The Sudbury Historical Society, The League of Women Voters, The Sudbury Historical Commission and Marlborough Savings Bank.
- June 14: Garden Tours and Tea sponsored by The Thursday Garden Club.
- June 15: Strawberry Shortcake Social in Heritage Park sponsored by Memorial Congregational Church.
- July 4: Fourth of July Parade sponsored by the Sudbury Chamber of Commerce.
- August 23: Olde Time Family Community Fair Day in Town Center sponsored by The Sudbury Celebrates 375/ Sudbury Day Committee.
- September: Picturing Sudbury Photo Exhibtion all month long at T-wisted Frozen Yogurt, 410 Boston Post Road, Sudbury. Sponsored by the Sudbury Historical Society.
- September 6: Sudbury 375 Field Day, food, music & fireworks at LSRHS sponsored by The Sudbury Celebrates 375/Sudbury Day Committee.
- September 14: Constitutional Challenge Road Race at the Wayside Inn.
- September 27: Colonial Faire and Muster of Fyfes and Drums at The Wayside Inn sponsored by the Sudbury Company of Militia and Minute.
If you or your group or organization are interested in participating in or sponsoring an event as part of the 375th Celebration, please contact Sudbury375@sudbury.ma.us or call Hal Cutler (978-443-2525). Check often for an updated schedule of events.
For more information about Sudbury Celebrates 375 committee activities or to sign up as a volunteer, visit our committee page on this web site.
Also, be sure to visit us on Facebook at “Sudbury Celebrates 375” and "Like" us a lot.
Many thanks to the Sudbury Woman’s Softball League and The Sudbury Cultural Council for their generous support, as well as Sudbury Wine and Spirits for creating a wine label commemorating Sudbury’s 375th Anniversary. Special Edition 375th pressed glass cup plates were produced by the Sudbury Historical Commission and can be purchased at the Hosmer House, the Town Clerk's Office, the Sudbury Historical Society, and The Wayside Inn gift shop. Watch for T-shirts, hats and water bottles with our 375th logo designed by LS grad David Alderman to go on sale soon at locations around Town.