In The Bin
Every recycling program in Massachusetts accepts the items below.
Make sure they are empty and clean.
- Metal Food & Beverage Cans – Empty and rinse
- Plastic Bottles, Jars, Jugs & Tubs – Empty and replace cap
- Glass Bottles & Jars – Empty and rinse
- Paper & Cardboard – Empty and flatten
Not In The Bin
Many items you’d think belong in your recycling bin don’t. Putting them in does more harm than good. Not sure? Check the Smart Recycling Guide.
- Do Not Bag Recyclables – No garbage
- No Plastic Bags or Plastic Wrap – Return to retail store collection bins
- No Food or Liquid – Empty all containers
- No Clothing or Linens – Use donation programs
- No Tanglers – No hoses, wires, chains or electronics
- Food & Beverage cans
- Plastic bottles, jars, jugs and tubs (NO OTHER SHAPES unless listed on www.RecycleSmartMA.org)
- Glass bottles & jars
- Paper & Cardboard
Have a burning “Is it recyclable?” question?
Visit www.RecycleSmartMA.org to learn how to deal with your item for proper disposal.
Have something else to recycle?
Search the MassDEP Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory for opportunities to recycle difficult-to-manage materials.
- Library of Things (Guidelines for Borrowing and Use)