Open burning is permitted by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts between January 15 through May 1. Burning is allowed 7 days per week between the hours of 10am-4pm (weather permitting).
To obtain an open burning permit, you must apply in person at the Fire Department Headquarters located on Hudson Road. Once a permit is received, it is valid for one entire season but may be revoked if all laws stated in MGL 148, 527 CMR are not abided by.
Such burning laws include:
- You may burn brush only. No leaves, trash, tires, hay, etc. is permitted.
- The fire must be kept at least 75 feet from all dwellings.
- A water source must be present and accessible at all times while burning.
- Tools, such as a shovel or rake, should be kept near-by.
- Burning of brush for commercial land clearing is prohibited.
- An adult must tend to the fire at all times.
- Fire are only permitted during the dates and times mentioned above.
- All types of accelerates are prohibited.