Roofing and Storm Damage Contractors

Published August 17, 2015 | Police Department | Automatically Archived on 9/1/2015

This Post has been archived and its content might be outdated. If you are looking for recent content, please check this Department's Homepage.

Due to the recent hail and wind storm we have experienced an uptick in solicitor permit requests and complaints about unlicensed solicitors. The police department is addressing the licensing of companies soliciting door to door. We also encourage you to report solicitors who have not registered.  Groups who are registered should have a town or state ID on thier person. Groups are required to register if they are taking part in for profit work such as roof repair, non profit groups are allowed to solicit with out permits. In addition to the door to door solicitation issues, we caution anyone having roof or other home repairs done to have the work done by registered contractors.

The Town Building Inspector has explained that anyone doing roof repairs needs to have a building permit for such work. In addition the contractor you hire should have the following licenses from the State of Massachusetts: 1) Construction Supervisors License from the Building Board of Regulations and Standards, 2) An HIC registration number with the Department of Consumer Affairs.

They are also required to fill out the workers compensation affidavit with proof of workers compensation, except for Homeowners and sole proprietors /partnership with no employees of any capacity. Homeowner issued permits are not protected by the HIC fund.

Please exercise due diligence when choosing a contractor to work on your home. Be sure all licenses that contractors present are current. If you have any more specific questions related to what licenses are required and permits please refer them to the Town Building Inspectors Office. Also see the web sites of the State agencies listed above who license these contractors.