When am I required to file an accident report?

When am I required to file an accident report?


As required by Massachusetts General Law Chapter 90 section 26, “Every person operating a motor vehicle which is involved in an accident in which any person is killed or injured or in which there is damage in excess of one thousand dollars to any one vehicle or other property shall, within five days after such accident, report in writing to the registrar on a form approved by him and send a copy thereof to the police department having jurisdiction on the way where such accident occurred.”

Individuals required to file a report should provide copies to:

>The police department where the accident occurred
>Your insurance company
>The Registry of Motor Vehicles (original copy)
>Retain one for yourself

“Click here” to download Commonwealth of MA Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report Form

“Click here” for the Registry of Motor Vehicles website

FAQ Categories