This is the time of the year to be vigilant about tick-borne illness disease prevention. Protect yourself, your family, and pets by taking a few precautions while enjoying the outdoors. Remember you don’t have to be walking in the woods to be bitten by a tick it can happen in your own backyard.
• Check yourself for ticks daily. It may take up to 24 hours for an infected tick to spread disease.
• Use repellents that contain DEET on exposed skin.
• Stick to main paths that are brush and tall grass free.
• Wear long sleeve and light colored clothing, tuck socks into pants to make it easier to spot ticks.
• Remove ticks attached at once.
If you suspect you have a tick-borne disease consult your physician immediately. For more information go to www.mass.gov/dph/tick