The Hosmer House was built in 1793 by Asher Goodnow. The first owner was Captain Elisha Wheeler. James L. Willis and his wife Ella ran the Sudbury Country Store and post office on the first floor, west side, and a cobbler’s shop on the second floor, back west side. At one time this space was also a candy shop.
The Hosmer family purchased the house in 1896. The Hosmers were visiting a cousin, Harriet Eaton, in Concord when they drove by this house and saw a ‘for sale’ sign. They decided to purchase the house. Florence’s brother, Albert, bought it for $2,000.
Florence was the last surviving family member. The Hosmer’s first born child died in infancy. There were four children: Alice (b.1867), Albert (1871), Winfred (1879), Florence (1880). Florence was still living in the home when she died in 1978. In 1959 she had given the deed to the Town of Sudbury stipulating that the house, its contents, her personal belongings and many of her paintings would be on display to the public as a memorial to her father after her death.
The house was built in the Federal Style with a center entrance. It has 11 rooms, 2 large main hallways, 2 bathrooms, 10 fireplaces and an attached two bay carriage shed. There had been a large barn used to house cattle, which was taken down in 1980 by the town. The four chimneys were originally 12 feet tall but were reduced to 6 feet.
Similar to a modern living room, the parlor would have been used to welcome and entertain visitors.
Even though its purpose has changed over time, this room was originally used as a general store and post office.
In this dining room, you can see dishes, bowls, and pottery that were used by the Hosmer family.
This room was Florence’s bedroom for most of her life.
Originally this room was used as a cobbler’s workshop until occupied by Florence’s sister Alice. It contains pictures of children who lived in Sudbury at the time as well as toys from the era.
This bedroom, occupied by Florence’s brother Fred, includes his original clothing from the era.