Someone with a keen interest in Sudbury’s past, a willingness to engage in time-consuming research and a knowledge encompassing genealogical information, significant historical events and more would be the ideal candidate for this position.
The designation “Town Historian” is an honorary appointment and will be restricted to a person who has the qualifications noted below. “Town Historian” is a volunteer, unpaid position, appointed by the Town Manager with approval from the Board of Selectmen.
Provide authoritative information, as needed or required, based on accurate data and objective evaluation and interpretation, of Sudbury’s history to Town officials, boards, committees, and staff. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Background material for the commemoration of significant events, such as King Philip’s Attack, Sudbury in the Revolutionary War, anniversary celebrations, etc.
- Data concerning ancient roads, bounds, land allotments, and decisions which bear upon the resolution of contemporary legal questions.
- Genealogical information.
- Information on buildings and sites.
- Annual Town Report submission as requested by the Selectmen’s Office.
The Town Historian shall have the following mandatory qualifications:
- Keen interest in Sudbury’s past.
- Knowledge of availability of original records and other source materials on Sudbury and how to obtain and use them.
- Willingness to engage in time-consuming research.
- Ability to evaluate, interpret and present results for official or public use.
Policies & Laws:
This position is subject to Sudbury’s E-mail Communication Policy, the Conflict of Interest Law (MGL c.268A) and the Town’s Harassment Policy.
The Secretary of the Commonwealth advises that the Public Records Law clearly applies to government records generated or received electronically. All electronic mail sent, and all electronic mail received by principal addressees (not received as a “cc”) at a Town-issued address, or any address when in an official capacity, should be considered a public record subject to inspection and disclosure and scheduled retention and disposition. Town appointees, acting in their official capacity, should have no expectation of privacy in their use of electronic mail.
Interested candidates should complete the Application for Appointment form https://sudbury.ma.us/selectboardsoffice/?attachment_id=199 and email it to [email protected] by Friday, June 29.