PERMIT TO CONDUCT A RAFFLE OR BAZAAR
MGL CHAPTER 271, SECTION 7A (CHAPTER 810 OF THE ACTS OF 1969, AMENDED BY CHAPTER 415 OF THE ACTS OF 1976).
The following types of organizations are eligible for a Raffle or Bazaar permit:
- Veteran’s organization chartered by US Congress or included in clause 12 of General Laws Chp. 40, § 5
- Church or religious organization
- Fraternity or fraternal benefit society
- Educational or charitable organization
- Civic or service club or organization
- Club or organization operated for pleasure, recreation and other nonprofit purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any member or shareholder.
Raffle and Bazaar Permit Application Process
- Obtain application materials from Town Clerk’s office and complete all forms
Send to/drop off application at Town Clerk’s Office
- Enclose the $25 application fee ($10 for renewals). Checks should be made out to “Town of Sudbury.”
- The Town Clerk’s office will approve or deny application within 10 days
- If the application is approved by the Town Clerk’s office, it will be forwarded to the police chief for approval.
- Processing of the application may take up to 30 days total from the day it is submitted, please plan accordingly
Pick up the Permit at the Town Clerk’s office when notified that it is ready. Any officer of the organization noted in the application may pick up the permit.
- A raffle permit is good for one year
- A bazaar permit is good for three bazaars within one year
- Send requested documentation and tax filing to Massachusetts Lottery Commission.
After the Raffle or Bazaar: File an Annual Report with the Town Clerk
- For raffles, the annual report must be filed by the end of the permitting period
- For bazaars, the annual report must be filed 1 month after the bazaar/poker night(s)