Full FAQ Details

What is the process for obtaining a Marriage License?


Couples wishing to obtain a license file their intentions in the Town Clerk’s Office in person (except for cases where one person is in the military or incarcerated, or a physician’s written confirmation of an illness of one of the parties is produced) at least three days before the ceremony (an application for a time waiver may be filed by both of the parties at a probate or district court if a problem exists). The fee for filing your marriage intentions in Sudbury is $40.00 and includes one certified copy of the Marriage Certificate. The license is valid for sixty days from the time of filing, and may be used for a ceremony conducted in any Massachusetts city or town. The member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace who performs the ceremony must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued.

Persons seeking a marriage license must be at least eighteen years old or have a court order providing for an exception.

Those desiring a civil ceremony should contact the Town Clerk or call the Secretary of State’s Commissions Section at (617) 727-2836 to obtain a list of local Justices of the Peace.

The contact information for the Sudbury Town Clerk’s Office:

Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Tuesday 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM, Friday 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Summer Hours may differ)

Building: Town Hall
322 Concord Road
Sudbury, MA 01776

Email: webmaster@sudbury.ma.us

Phone: (978) 639 – 3351Fax: (978) 639 – 3340

Building: Town Hall
322 Concord Road
Sudbury, MA 01776

Email this Article
Back to Town Clerk

Subscribe Subscribe to Email Lists